I have several large clumps of cowslips and this year I’ve decided that I’d like to have at least 50 primroses along my front border so I’ve pulled out ALL of the clumps so as to do a radical division of the plants.
I’m placing the little plantlings in a newly created shady holding area at the side of my house. It’s a more sheltered spot to start them off and it’ll allow me to continue clearing goutweed from their original location and possibly redesign my front beds.
Apparently, the best way to transplant cowslips in the summer is to divide the clumps and then cut back the leaves (completely) and trim the roots. I’ve set them into the bed using a Square Foot Gardening layout. In the fall I’ll return them to the main bed.