When I bite inside an empanada it is very crunchy, hot, and the melted cheese is UNBELIEVABLE! Mmmmmmm. I do these cheese empanadas with my mom from scratch. We make them together. This recipe really comes from Chile. My grandma gave the recipe to my mom. We also make some meat empanadas but I prefer cheese empanadas. The whole family makes them. I once went to Chile, and I ate some over there at my mom’s uncle’s house, and they were really good. Last week we ate some at my aunt’s house and we ate some at home in the same week! We mostly eat them for lunch, snack, and dinner and we mostly eat them in in winter because they are hot. For me I would eat them all the time! :) I can`t really say who makes the best because they are all so good!
– Mozzarella cheese (cut in big squares)
– 5 cups of flour
– 1 tea spoon of baking powder
– 2 tablespoons of margarine
– 2 cups of warm water and 2 tablespoons of salt. Mix the water and salt together
1) Mix the flour, the baking powder, the margarine and add the water mix to make the crust.
2) Take some small pieces of the crust, and make it thin enough and it has to be at least 15 cm wide (circle).
Add the cheese:
3) Put the piece of cheese inside the crust.
4) Close so that it makes a half moon and seal the border with water, so the cheese stays in.
5) Ask your parents to help you!
6) In a pan, heat some oil and put the cheese empanada in and cook it until the crust is golden and make sure the cheese is melted. (about 3 minutes).
Best part of it:
7) EAT!! :-) while it’s hot!!!!! Mmmmmm.